Slow Cooker Chili
An EASY, classic Slow Cooker Chili that takes no effort at all and is a perfect winter meal your family will love for lunch or dinner! We have substituted classic ground beef for lean ground turkey to enhance the healthiness of this meal!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Servings: 8 Servings
❏ 2 pounds lean ground turkey
❏ 1 yellow onion chopped
❏ 3 garlic cloves minced
❏ 2 16-ounce cans red kidney beans rinsed and drained
❏ 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes not drained
❏ 1/4 cup tomato paste
❏ 3 tablespoons chili powder
❏ 1 teaspoon salt
❏ 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
❏ 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Cook the beef and onion together in a large pot or cast iron skillet over medium high heat until the beef is browned well.
2. Add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Cook on high heat for 3 hours or on low heat for 6 hours.
Recipe Health Benefits
● Lean ground turkey is an excellent alternative to ground beef as it has less saturated (bad) fat
● Onions are nutrient-dense - low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals (Vitamin C, B6 and B9). They also contain antioxidants to fight inflammation and lower heart disease risk
● Garlic can help to reduce blood pressure and improve heart health by improving cholesterol levels
● Kidney beans are rich in protein and fiber to moderate blood sugar levels and promote colon health
● Tomato products contain various nutrients like vitamin C, E, potassium, antioxidants and fiber (there is a risk of being higher in sodium so try to stick to low-sodium versions)
● Chili powder can act as an anti-inflammatory to help decrease swelling of joints and increase blood flow. It prevents acid reflux and kills bacteria. It also improves your metabolism and builds immunity.
● Cumin promotes digestion, is a rich source of iron, may fight inflammation and can improve blood cholesterol