Face Mask Information
Wearing a homemade facial covering/non-medical mask in the community has not been proven to protect the person wearing it and is not a substitute for physical distancing and hand washing.
However, it can be an additional measure taken to protect others around you, even if you have no symptoms. It can be useful for short periods of time, when physical distancing is not possible in public settings, such as when grocery shopping or using public transit.
Non-medical face masks or face coverings should:
● allow for easy breathing
● fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops
● maintain their shape after washing and drying
● be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty
● be comfortable and not require frequent adjustment
● be made of at least 2 layers of tightly woven material fabric (such as cotton or linen)
● be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth without gaping
Medical masks, including surgical, medical procedure face masks and respirators (like N95 masks), must be kept for health care workers and others providing direct care to COVID-19 patients.
How to put on a non-medical mask or face covering:
1. Ensure the face covering is clean and dry.
2. Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before touching the mask.
○ If none is available, use hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol base.
3. Ensure your hair is away from your face.
4. Place the face covering over your nose and mouth and secure to your head or ears with its ties or elastics.
○ Adjust if needed to ensure nose and mouth are fully covered.
○ The mask should fit snugly to the cheeks and there should not be any gaps.
5. Repeat Step 2.
While wearing a non-medical mask or face covering, it is important to avoid touching your face. If you do touch your mask or face, you should immediately wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds. You can also use hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol base.
How to remove a non-medical mask or face covering:
1. Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds. If none is available, use hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol base.
2. Remove the face covering by un-tying it or removing the loops from your ears. Avoid touching the front of the mask when removing it. It can be placed in a plastic bag temporarily if you are not at home. Make sure you close or zip seal the bag while storing it.
3. After removing the face covering, repeat Step 1.
Cleaning and disposing of non-medical masks and face coverings:
If you plan to reuse the mask, wash it before wearing it again. Change your cloth mask as soon as it gets damp or soiled by:
● putting it directly into the washing machine
● washing it with other items using a hot cycle, and then dry thoroughly Non-medical masks that cannot be washed should be discarded and replaced as soon as they get damp, soiled or crumpled.
● dispose of masks properly in a lined garbage bin
● do not leave discarded masks in shopping carts or on the ground
Make your own mask
Where to buy face masks
○ At least a 2-layer protection mask is recommended, free shipping, takes about 4 weeks to arrive**
○ These types of masks may not be effective in blocking virus particles that may be transmitted by coughing, sneezing or certain medical procedures. They do not provide complete protection from virus particles because of a potential loose fit and the materials used**
○ Stitch It is now making protective facial masks
○ They sell for $12 for 2 masks and are able to deliver
○ Follow this website to make your order
○ You can call the head office at 1-866-334-4440 11
○ Email firstname.lastname@example.org
○ Staples sells face masks and offers a delivery option
● Knit and Stitch Sisters-
○ $10 per reusable face mask, $2 for delivery
○ Cash or e-transfer is available 14
○ Send a message on facebook OR call 613-548-7584 and speak to Jill to order!
● Elaine Burke- Kingston Community Member:
○ 100% cotton, 2 layers of non-woven filter with adjustable nose guard
○ $15 each, FREE contactless delivery, cash or e-transfer
○ Call 613-549-9257 to order!