Slow Cooker Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Stew
All the tastiness of chicken pot pie in an easy and healthy slow cooker version!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 4hr
Total Time: 4hr 5mn
❏ 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
❏ 1 large yellow onion, diced
❏ 3 stalks celery, diced
❏ 3 carrot(s), diced
❏ 3 cloves garlic, minced
❏ 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
❏ 1 tsp. ground black pepper
❏ 1 tsp. dried thyme
❏ 1 tsp. dried oregano
❏ 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth/stock
❏ 1 bay leaf
❏ 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
❏ 1/3 cup frozen pearl onions
❏ 1/3 cup peas
❏ 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
1. Add the chicken, yellow onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and chicken broth to the bowl of a slow cooker and stir to combine.
2. Add the bay leaf, cover, and cook on Low for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove and discard bay leaf.
4. Remove chicken breast, shred, and set aside.
5. Measure out 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the liquid and contents from the slow cooker and place into a blender. Puree this until smooth, and then return to the slow cooker. This will serve to thicken the stew. (If you'd like it even thicker, mix 1/2 cup of the liquid with 1 tbsp. cornstarch and dissolve into the liquids).
6. Return the cooked, shredded chicken to the slow cooker, followed by the frozen, peas, frozen carrots, frozen pearl onions, and greek yogurt.
7. Re-cover and cook an additional 30 minutes, until the frozen vegetables have heated through. Season to taste before serving.
Recipe's Health Benefits
● Garlic can help to reduce blood pressure and improve heart health by improving cholesterol levels
● Carrots also lower cholesterol levels and are a good source of fiber, vitamin K1, and antioxidants
● Celery is low in sodium and is low on the glycemic index meaning it has a slow, steady effect on your blood sugar
● Onions have antioxidants that fight inflammation, decrease triglycerides (fat) and reduce cholesterol levels - all which may lower heart disease risk
● The use of low sodium broth and low sodium tomato juice helps with heart health by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol
● Oregano is rich in antioxidants, helps fight bacteria, and to decrease inflammation
● Thyme is packed with vitamin C and is also a good source of vitamin A. Thyme can boost your immunity. It's a good source of copper, fiber, iron, and manganese.
● Greek yogurt is an excellent source of calcium, which can help improve bone health. It also contains probiotics, which support a healthy bacterial balance in the gut. Greek yogurt is a great healthy substitute for sour cream when cooking.
● Corn is rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage, and wards off diseases like cancer and heart disease. It is also good for eye health and helps prevent the lens damage that leads to cataracts.
● Green peas contain a decent amount of heart-healthy minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and calcium. Diets high in these nutrients may be helpful for preventing high blood pressure, and heart disease.