Sleep plays an important role in your physical and emotional health. Sleep allows your body to rest and recover. When you sleep, your body is involved in healing and repairing of injured tissues. It may help you be more alert, reduce stress and improve memory.
Tips for Better Sleep
· Establish a personal sleep routine
· Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day, even on the weekends.
· Turn down lights during the evening.
· Try to relax before bed and leave your worries behind: take a warm shower or bath, read a book, progressive muscle relaxation techniques, listen to calming music.
o Progressive muscle relaxation is one method that may help you relax. Refer to this guide.
· Don’t drink a lot of liquids before bedtime, especially alcohol.
· Avoid heavy meals or vigorous physical activity too close to bedtime. Having a healthy light snack can improve sleep.
· Keep a sleep / wake diary. Here is an example of a Sleep Diary.
For more information about how to better your sleep, refer to the following document.